James qualified as a solicitor in 1997 and is Head of Teacher Stern’s Employment practice. He regularly advises a wide variety of clients ranging from large multi-national companies to senior executives. James has, along with Teacher Stern’s employment practice, been listed in the Legal 500 Directory where he has been described as a “real star”.
Along with the other members of the employment team, James has spent many years developing close relationships with clients and regularly advises on all aspects of employment law. These range from “day-to-day” employment issues to more stand-alone matters such as collective consultation on redundancies and high value employment tribunal and high court cases.
James has expertise and experience in dealing with restrictive covenants, employee competition and the protection of confidential information, as well as the employment aspects of business sales and staff transfers (including the regulations governing transfers of undertakings in the UK). He has particular sector experience in the financial services arena, and regularly advises regulated businesses and senior individuals on employment law issues.
The firm’s employment team is well-known and respected for its work for senior individuals in relation to the negotiation and termination of employment contracts and restrictive covenant/”team move” issues. James has successfully negotiated for his clients with employers in many different business sectors including with some of the largest financial services institutions.
- Advised a global bank in relation to lengthy disciplinary issues and regulatory investigatory proceedings involving the alleged manipulation of the financial markets.
- Advised a listed IT services company in relation to the acquisition of its business by a rival company and a subsequent business reorganisation involving collective consultation with trades unions and elected employee representatives.
- Advised a logistics business in relation to matters including the negotiation of services contracts with customers involving the transfer under TUPE of employees, settlement agreements with senior individuals, disciplinary and grievance matters and data protection issues.
- Advised a private wealth management business and family office in relation to an Employment Tribunal claim from a former employee including allegations of discrimination, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal.
- Advised a senior board member of an international bank in relation to a bonus claim and disciplinary investigation into alleged regulatory breaches.
- Advised an investment management firm in relation to the recruitment of a team of senior employees from a rival business who were subject to restrictive covenants.
- Advised a recruitment business in relation to the departure of a team senior employees and the removal by them of confidential information and the establishment of a competing business.
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Stringer Saul