Philip is a highly regarded solicitor advocate with a very good record in commercial disputes and recognised expertise in contentious financial services.
Philip’s financial services expertise includes advice in relation to hedge funds, crowd funding, peer to peer lending, corporate internal investigations, dawn raids, foreign investigations, insider dealing, spread betting, wall-crossing, misleading statements and practices, contracts for differences, market abuse, market manipulation, bookbuilding, breaches of Listing Rules, Approved Persons, corporate finance issues, swaps misselling, high income products, perimeter, Isdafix, unregulated collective investment schemes, financial promotion, money laundering and overallotment. He advises on issues of conduct of business – e.g. best execution, customer order priority misselling of non packaged products. He has appeared as advocate before the Regulatory and Decisions Committee of the FCA. Philip’s financial services clients include brokers, hedge fund managers and investment bankers.
Litigation in the Higher Courts conducted by Philip includes actions relating to misrepresentation, fraud, insolvency, swaps misselling, professional negligence and breaches of contract. His arbitrations in relation to a number of industries including Financial Services, Telecoms and Oil and Gas include references to the LCIA as well as participating in ad hoc arbitrations.
Philip has been recommended in the leading professional guides to lawyers including the Legal 500 Client’s Guide to the Legal Profession where he has been described as having ‘encyclopaedic knowledge of every aspect of financial services law’, and excels at FCA investigations and enforcement actions.
- Acting for a substantial property company owning ground rent portfolios in High Court litigation against a Tier 1 investment bank claiming libor and Isdafix manipulation.
- Acting for numerous claimants in actions against banks in relation to the misselling of interest rate hedging products.
- Acting for activist hedge funds in relation to stake building in listed PLC’s.
- Defending numerous FCA Approved Persons in relation to regulatory action by the FCA.
- Acting for claimants in relation to asset tracing and breach of fiduciary actions against Directors.
Partner Teacher Stern
Partner Cooke, Young & Keidan
Partner Finers Stephens Innocent