Data Protection & Privacy
Almost all businesses need to be concerned about how they capture and use personal data. This is particularly so for businesses operating via global networks. These businesses need to understand and comply with applicable data protection and privacy laws in order to validly carry on their business. This is especially true in relation to the transfer of personal data.
Whilst data protection law is a key aspect in advising on how data can be gathered, used and held by businesses, it must also be considered in the context of wider rights and obligations. For this reason, our commercial lawyers provide specialist and in-depth advice on all aspects of privacy, confidentiality, trade secrets, legal privilege, copyright and database rights and network and information security. We also work closely with our clients to ensure that they are properly registered and comply with the relevant regulations as well as understand and recognise the value of data as a material asset of their business.
We regularly advise on the general principles of data protection as well as providing more comprehensive advice on day-to-day issues such as compliance, international data transfers, data storage, data use, online conduct, and data security.
We have notable experience and expertise in a number of industry sectors including technology, telecommunications, sport, media and e-commerce. However, we recognise that data protection and privacy impacts and influences all of our practice areas. As such we take a multi-disciplinary approach to advising our clients on these matters, helping them to achieve a compliant and effective solution to data usage and management.
Representative Data Protection & Privacy Work
Examples of our team’s data protection & privacy work include:
- Advised a listed document storage company on compliance and related risks associated with the transfer of personal data to an Indian subcontractor (processing the data).
- Advised a company on the related risks and compliance requirements in connection with its online forum and user generated content.
- Advised an equipment management company on data compliance, data storage and data protection matters relating to its contracts with NHS bodies.
- Advised a data centre and hosted service provider on data protection issues associated with the storage of credit card details.
- Advised numerous eGaming platform providers on end user data protection and privacy issues and data transfer controls.
- Advised on the scoping and creation of data protection policies and strategies for a well-known online comparison website.