In expanding a business, whether nationally or internationally, licencing and franchising are routes that many business owners pursue in order to quickly grow their business and brand name.
Teacher Stern provides specialist legal advice to both franchisors and franchisees across a wide industry sector spanning retail, restaurants, fast food, cafes, leisure, entertainment, clothes, real estate and hotels, to name but a few.
We work with some of the biggest national and international franchise names in the UK. We have advised well known businesses such as The Body Shop, Oliver’s Hot Bread, Slimming Clinics, Burger & Lobster, Lima and several other major restaurant groups establishing national and international franchises.
In advising franchisors, we regularly advise on matters such as preparing international franchise and developer agreements (master franchise agreements), structuring and drafting operating manuals, social franchising and corporate social responsibility, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, commitment and guarantee agreements and all aspects related to the licencing of intellectual property rights and brand names.
We frequently advise franchisees on their rights and obligations under franchise agreements including in relation to the termination of franchise arrangements, the sale of existing franchise businesses, and the ownership of intellectual property rights and data. We also advise franchisees on structuring their franchise business through the use of joint venture shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and LLP agreements.
Our dispute resolution team has significant experience in advising on franchise related disputes and misrepresentation claims; as well as claims relating to intellectual property and passing off.
Advising on any franchise arrangement requires expertise in a number of different areas of law including commercial contracts, dispute resolution, competition law, intellectual property rights law, real estate law, employment law and EU law. At Teacher Stern, you will find specialists who are not only experts in their relevant areas law, but who can understand and help you achieve your commercial objectives.
Representative Franchising Work
Examples of our teams franchise work include:
- Advised a major high street restaurant group in connection with the establishment of franchise arrangements both nationally and internationally.
- Advised several clients in connection with franchise disputes relating to one of the largest gym operators in the UK.
- Advised on the creation of international franchise templates for use by a well-known beauty brand in the Middle East.
- Advised numerous clients in connection with their negotiations for franchise arrangements.
- Advised on the negotiating of a Master Licence Agreement/Franchise Elements for a well-known chain of restaurants.
Martine NathanPartner Corporate and Commercial
Martine acts and advises in relation to all aspects of corporate and commercial work. She heads our Technology and Communications Group and is also a certified data protection practitioner.
Martine is ranked as an expert in the Legal 500 and praised as being “acutely commercial”.
Martine specialises in non-contentious information technology / intellectual property work with an emphasis on e-commerce (especially online gaming), emerging technologies, payment and media/data platforms. Martine has provided legal advice (both as commercial counsel and on transactional work) to very many entities within the on-line gaming services sector. A number of these clients engage Teacher Stern on a ‘retained’ basis and as such we undertake their complex commercial negotiations, acting as their “in-house” counsel.
Martine also provides data protection advice, acts on the sale and purchase of private companies, structures shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, advises on software contracts, and related services, outsourcing, shared service arrangements, data services, reorganisations and all complex commercial negotiations.
Further examples of work for Teacher Stern includes:
· acting for the founders and management on the sale of the Genius Sports Group (a global leader in sports data technology) to funds advised by Apax Partners (private equity);
· advising Brambles plc (Australian listed entity) on its acquisition of Airworld Containers Limited;
· leading (for a fully listed plc) its European legal team on its acquisition of a group of pan European companies;
· advising a sports data entity on the sale of its Asian operations;
· buying and selling telecom channel and energy resale partners and structuring resell business models;
· negotiating the transfer of a media delivery platform and business asset purchase;
· acting for Recall Limited on its acquisition of C21 Data Management Services (Scotland);
· acting for a booking platform company in raising private equity monies and documenting investment terms;
· selling a chain of health clubs;
· acting on the global procurement of financial software to international banks;
· advising the selling shareholders of the Made Simple Group (business products and services for start ups and small companies) to Moneypenny Limited;
· acting for Corona Corporate Solutions Limited (print/copy and digital solutions) in connection with its acquisition programme including the acquisitions of Copylogic Limited, Bureautech Limited and CBE Solutions Limited;
· advising Eyecon Alderney Limited (online gaming slots software) on its commercial negotiations with gaming operators and acting for its shareholders on their sale to Playtech plc;
· advising technology providers and licensees on all agreements ancillary to technology; evaluation agreements, maintenance and support arrangements, acceptance test procedures, integration, escrow arrangements, service level agreements (and credits for breach) and hosting; and
· providing data protection mapping, audits and GDPR compliance reviews, including training to clients.
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom