Information Technology & Gaming
Technology is constantly changing the way in which businesses and organisations operate, and even the way in which business is being carried out. The pace at which these changes are taking place has resulted in new and increased complexities that require careful risk management and expert guidance from lawyers.
Teacher Stern’s commercial lawyers are experts in the complexities of technology, outsourcing and procurement. When combined with our in-depth knowledge of the technology and gaming sector, and our creative approach to problem solving, that expertise enables us to deliver proactive and user-friendly solutions to our clients.
Our clients include both IT suppliers and users and range from start-ups to major multinational, European, FTSE 100 and AIM listed companies. They are involved in various technology related arenas including digital media, telecommunications, satellite channels and financial IT services to name but a few.
We regularly advise clients on matters ranging from:
- technology procurement, software development and licensing;
- technology ownership structures, including the impact of the use of open source software;
- internet and e-commerce;
- gaming (including online gaming);outsourcing projects (IT, HR or business process);
- technology platforms and white label products;
- back-end technology services;
- escrow arrangements for source code;
- systems integration;
- financial software systems; and
- data protection and data privacy – particularly cross-border issues arising in relation to the collection of data via online and mobile business channels.
As well as advising on commercial issues relating to information technology, our commercial team works closely with other teams in the firm to advise on matters ranging from buying and selling companies within the IT and eGaming sectors, joint ventures, financing, investment and employment.
Representative Information Technology & Gaming Work
Examples of our team’s information technology & gaming work include:
- Advised on structuring all commercial agreements for eGaming companies with its operators and content providers (RGS platforms).
- Advised a European bank in connection with a number of IT contracts it was entering into with third parties.
- Advised a financial software provider on the development and licensing of its payment technology software into banks, as well as in respect of software maintenance contracts relating to that technology.
- Advised a telecommunications provider in connection with numerous commercial negotiations with telecom wholesalers, end users and its channel.
- Advised numerous financial data companies on their licencing terms and arrangements with end users.
- Advised a major outsourcing services provider in relation to the provision of outsourced software, IT services and data management services with a number of international advertising trade bodies.
- Advised numerous software vendors in relation to master licence agreements, development agreements, reserve time arrangements, service level agreements and service credit provisions (for breach), support and maintenance terms, a purchase order procurement structure and a global affiliates programme.
- Advised a global hosting centre and co-location space provider in negotiating its commercial contracts.