Teacher Stern’s commercial team is highly respected in the London market. We advise large multinationals, public companies, owner-managed businesses and entrepreneurs across the full range of commercial matters that a business may encounter.
We are heavily embedded in the technology sector and regularly advise customers and suppliers on matters relating to information technology, data protection, privacy, intellectual property, outsourcing and procurement. We have significant expertise in software and other technology issues.
In addition, we also provide a full general commercial contacts service to our clients. We regularly advise on matters such as franchising, supply & distribution, agencies, standard terms and conditions of sale, privacy policies and other more general commercial contracts.
For media clients, we advise on a broad array of matters ranging from the negotiation of multi-million pound sports, advertising and marketing contracts to matters such as protecting intellectual property rights and reputation protection. We also advise on matters relating to the use and development of new multimedia platforms, regulatory issues and licensing.
We have a talented team of specialist commercial lawyers at Teacher Stern who not only understand the detail of commercial contracts but also understand the related industry sectors and market practice within those industries. So, whether you’re looking for guidance on a major strategic issue or simply a quick answer to a day-to-day matter, our commercial team can provide the insight, knowledge and understanding that you need to make your deal a success.
What We Do
The areas covered by our Commercial practice include:
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Contracts
- Data Protection & Privacy
- Information Technology & Gaming
- Outsourcing & Procurement
Representative Commercial Work
Examples of our commercial work include:
- Advised a subsidiary of a listed company in connection with marine and air transport agreements, as well as a customs broker services agreement.
- Advised a UK company in connection with supply, distribution and licence agreements relating to its distribution of products in Europe and Africa on behalf of a US manufacturer.
- Advised a major high street restaurant group in connection with the establishment of franchise arrangements both nationally and internationally.
- Advised the operating entity of a UK airport in relation to the outsourcing of key IT security functions and services to a third party service provider.
- Advised a financial software provider on the development and licensing of its payment technology software into banks, as well as in respect of software maintenance contracts relating to that technology.
- Advised a European bank in connection with a number of IT contracts it was entering into with third parties.
Contact our team:
David SalisburyPartner Corporate and Commercial
As head of the firm’s corporate and commercial practice, David’s broad transactional experience includes acquisitions, disposals, take-overs and mergers, asset sales/purchases, joint ventures and company restructuring. He also advises clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including company/partnership formation, partnership/shareholders agreements and employment issues.
David has particular experience in the field of sport, acting amongst others for prospective purchasers of Premiership and Football League clubs in takeovers. He is also at the forefront of the development in England of the investment in and transfer of the economic rights of sportsmen and women.
For property investor clients, he has particular expertise in the disposal and acquisition of corporate and similar structures which assist in mitigating stamp duty land tax.
David has experience:
- Acting for investors in the economic rights of football players playing in the Premier League and the top divisions in other European Countries as well as in South America. Over the years, David has been involved in providing advice connected with the transfers, economic rights participation and/or playing rights of various Premier League and foreign based players including Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano, Jo, Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Fabiano and Heurelho Gomes to name but a few. More recently David has provided advice in relation to the following players: Paulhino (Tottenham) Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea) and Carlos Tevez (Juventus).
- Advising on a £430 million acquisition of a mixture of offshore and onshore companies owning 180 petrol stations and advising on the sale thereof three years later.
- Acting on a series joint ventures for a leading UK celebrity magazine and newspaper publisher with a combined value in excess of £280m.
- Acting for the prospective purchasers in their takeover of a Premier League Football Club.
- Advising on the £166 million sale of a group of companies with an industrial portfolio.
- Acting on the acquisition and financing of 545 public houses, worth £163 million.
- Advising on the £25 million sale to a UK plc of a leading UK independent internet service provider.
- Advising the founders and owners of a high end chain of London coffee shops on the sale, earn out and rollover of the owners’ differing interests in the business to a well known industry leading private equity firm.
- Advising the owners of a mining public relations agency on the sale of the worldwide operations to a UK quoted company.
Partner, Teacher Stern
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom