Teacher Stern’s commercial team is highly respected in the London market. We advise large multinationals, public companies, owner-managed businesses and entrepreneurs across the full range of commercial matters that a business may encounter.
We are heavily embedded in the technology sector and regularly advise customers and suppliers on matters relating to information technology, data protection, privacy, intellectual property, outsourcing and procurement. We have significant expertise in software and other technology issues.
In addition, we also provide a full general commercial contacts service to our clients. We regularly advise on matters such as franchising, supply & distribution, agencies, standard terms and conditions of sale, privacy policies and other more general commercial contracts.
For media clients, we advise on a broad array of matters ranging from the negotiation of multi-million pound sports, advertising and marketing contracts to matters such as protecting intellectual property rights and reputation protection. We also advise on matters relating to the use and development of new multimedia platforms, regulatory issues and licensing.
We have a talented team of specialist commercial lawyers at Teacher Stern who not only understand the detail of commercial contracts but also understand the related industry sectors and market practice within those industries. So, whether you’re looking for guidance on a major strategic issue or simply a quick answer to a day-to-day matter, our commercial team can provide the insight, knowledge and understanding that you need to make your deal a success.
What We Do
The areas covered by our Commercial practice include:
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Contracts
- Data Protection & Privacy
- Information Technology & Gaming
- Outsourcing & Procurement
Representative Commercial Work
Examples of our commercial work include:
- Advised a subsidiary of a listed company in connection with marine and air transport agreements, as well as a customs broker services agreement.
- Advised a UK company in connection with supply, distribution and licence agreements relating to its distribution of products in Europe and Africa on behalf of a US manufacturer.
- Advised a major high street restaurant group in connection with the establishment of franchise arrangements both nationally and internationally.
- Advised the operating entity of a UK airport in relation to the outsourcing of key IT security functions and services to a third party service provider.
- Advised a financial software provider on the development and licensing of its payment technology software into banks, as well as in respect of software maintenance contracts relating to that technology.
- Advised a European bank in connection with a number of IT contracts it was entering into with third parties.
Contact our team:
Martine NathanPartner Corporate and Commercial
Martine acts and advises in relation to all aspects of corporate and commercial work. She heads our Technology and Communications Group and is also a certified data protection practitioner.
Martine is ranked as an expert in the Legal 500 and praised as being “acutely commercial”.
Martine specialises in non-contentious information technology / intellectual property work with an emphasis on e-commerce (especially online gaming), emerging technologies, payment and media/data platforms. Martine has provided legal advice (both as commercial counsel and on transactional work) to very many entities within the on-line gaming services sector. A number of these clients engage Teacher Stern on a ‘retained’ basis and as such we undertake their complex commercial negotiations, acting as their “in-house” counsel.
Martine also provides data protection advice, acts on the sale and purchase of private companies, structures shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, advises on software contracts, and related services, outsourcing, shared service arrangements, data services, reorganisations and all complex commercial negotiations.
Further examples of work for Teacher Stern includes:
· acting for the founders and management on the sale of the Genius Sports Group (a global leader in sports data technology) to funds advised by Apax Partners (private equity);
· advising Brambles plc (Australian listed entity) on its acquisition of Airworld Containers Limited;
· leading (for a fully listed plc) its European legal team on its acquisition of a group of pan European companies;
· advising a sports data entity on the sale of its Asian operations;
· buying and selling telecom channel and energy resale partners and structuring resell business models;
· negotiating the transfer of a media delivery platform and business asset purchase;
· acting for Recall Limited on its acquisition of C21 Data Management Services (Scotland);
· acting for a booking platform company in raising private equity monies and documenting investment terms;
· selling a chain of health clubs;
· acting on the global procurement of financial software to international banks;
· advising the selling shareholders of the Made Simple Group (business products and services for start ups and small companies) to Moneypenny Limited;
· acting for Corona Corporate Solutions Limited (print/copy and digital solutions) in connection with its acquisition programme including the acquisitions of Copylogic Limited, Bureautech Limited and CBE Solutions Limited;
· advising Eyecon Alderney Limited (online gaming slots software) on its commercial negotiations with gaming operators and acting for its shareholders on their sale to Playtech plc;
· advising technology providers and licensees on all agreements ancillary to technology; evaluation agreements, maintenance and support arrangements, acceptance test procedures, integration, escrow arrangements, service level agreements (and credits for breach) and hosting; and
· providing data protection mapping, audits and GDPR compliance reviews, including training to clients.
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom