Our team has the breadth of technical expertise, deep industry knowledge and acute commercial insight required to address the issues, challenges and opportunities arising in construction projects of all scopes and sizes.
We provide advice on the full range of construction related matters to a diverse range of clients, including developers, contractors, sub-contractors, purchasers, tenants and investors providing development or real estate finance.
We bring a commercial, pragmatic and cost-effective approach to all we do enabling us to deliver, prompt and effective solutions in what are often time-sensitive situations, at a cost that truly adds value.
What we do:
The areas covered by our construction practice include:
Representative Construction Work
Examples of our construction work include:
Non-Contentious Construction Services:
- Advised a national development company in relation to the design, construction and completion of new, modern student accommodations at a number of prestigious universities across the country with a total construction cost of £50-£60m.
- Advised on a multi-phase residential/commercial development in the centre of London, including providing initial guidance as to procurement route and structure.
- Advised a number of high net worth individuals in relation to the construction/refurbishment of multi-million pound residential properties in St Johns Wood, Knightsbridge and Kensington.
Contentious Construction Services:
- Advised a large German contractor in connection with the defence of a substantial claim relating to alleged roofing defects in the distribution warehouse of a national supermarket chain, and then played a key role in the successful settlement discussions.
- Advised the developer of 4 luxury townhouses in Hampstead (sold for £26m) on claims against contractors for defects in swimming pool membranes and other key issues, including soft and hard landscaping.
- Advised an international construction company in relation to claims arising out of a North African hospitality development it was involved in.
- Advised a high net worth individual on a successful claim for damages against a national property developer resulting from repudiatory breach of contract, defective works and liquidated damages.
Contact our team:
Sarah MelbourneConsultant Construction
Sarah specialises in non-contentious construction law and has vast experience of drafting, negotiating and reporting on all construction related documents/provisions, including: building contracts; bespoke agreements; collateral warranties; third party rights; professional appointments; bonds and guarantees; finance agreements, development agreements and agreements for lease.
Sarah has experience of advising major developers, private investors, home owners, contractors, landlords, tenants, purchasers and public sector bodies. Sarah has also acted for government agencies, advising in connection with the management and delivery of major PFI contracts
Sarah has experience of working in the insurance and property industries and also frequently assists the Real Estate Finance team and the Real Estate department with the construction elements of their respective transactions, providing support in terms of due diligence and negotiating and drafting appropriate construction provisions.
Sarah’s construction work encompasses many sectors including but not limited to the following: Restaurants & Cafes, Hotels, Leisure & Retail, Healthcare, Real Estate, Shopping Centres, Student Accommodation and Care Homes
- Advised on the design and construction of a mixed use development in Soho, London, including day to day advice on all construction matters, negotiating and completing the building contract, the professional appointments, the Bond and all warranties.
- Advised on the design and construction of a major retail centre (and cinema) and prepared all the relevant construction documents.
- Advised an individual investor on the design and construction of a care home and prepared all the relevant construction documents.
- Advised a developer in connection with a £25 million pound loan facility for the design and construction of a central London mixed use development.
- Advised an individual on the construction matters relating to the complete refurbishment of a house in Eton Square, London and prepared all relevant construction documents.
Solicitor, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, DAC Beachcroft
Associate, Denton Wilde Sapte
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom