Teacher Stern has a highly-renowned Corporate Tax practice. Practice head, Sarah Cardew, has been regularly listed as a Leading Individual in The Legal 500 and as a notable practitioner in Chambers and Partners.
Tax should not frustrate nor intimidate. At Teacher Stern, our approach to Tax – applying our technical expertise and our innovative thinking together with a meticulous understanding of your business – will provide a practical and bespoke solution in every case that has a real monetary value, whether by reducing risk or by enhancing returns.
We advise on all aspects of UK business taxation, with particular strengths in tax planning of corporate and real estate transactions. Our tax advice is always succinct, pragmatic and robust.
Our corporate tax experience covers all areas of business activity – mergers and acquisitions, reorganisations, joint ventures, private equity/venture capital structures and work outs. In conjunction, we have a proficiency in personal taxation planning covering investor, management and employment issues (including IR35). We can also advise on any stamp duty issues.
We are adept at advising in all areas of property tax, including VAT and SDLT.
Representative Corporate Tax Work
Examples of our team’s corporate tax work include:
- Advised an entrepreneur on the implementation of a tax efficient corporate structure relating to the acquisition and ‘mixed use’ development of a major Brownfield site close to the London Olympic Park. Our advice incorporated innovative SDLT and corporation tax planning on this complex project.
- Advised a leading house builder on its joint venture projects with various registered social landlords on the development of ‘private/public’ residential schemes; in each case, our advice protected the client’s returns by mitigating VAT and corporation tax leakages
- Advised a renowned English county cricket club on the tax issues relating to the building (including on the significant quasi equity finance element) of their stadium.
- Advised a leading European bank on the debtor-backed restructuring of its UK real estate loan portfolio (which included enhanced debt/equity arrangements).
- Advised landlords and exempt occupiers as to VAT mitigation.
- Advised the founder investors on the establishment of a distressed real estate private equity group, and on subsequent property and loan stock acquisitions.
- Advised a leading timber asset fund manager on the establishment of new fund structures (which cater for UK and overseas investors) and on management arrangements.
- Advised on the establishment of an incubator venture capital fund, and its subsequent advisory and investment activities.
- Advised a leading City institution on the establishment and running of a Cayman Island credit derivative fund, together with advice to the UK investment manager entity.
- Advised a corporate finance house on a staged disposal strategy for a recruitment business which provided substantial tax savings at both the corporate and investor levels.
- Advised a renowned English county cricket club on the design and implementation of a JV corporate structure with a major catering provider that provides for tax efficient profit extraction from the retail operations of the client’s stadium.
- Advised the owners of a major London tourist hotel chain on the segregation of their business which allowed the ring-fencing of their valuable London property portfolio from the operating arm of the business.
- Advised a Canadian credit rating agency on the implementation of an employee incentive scheme for its key UK employees.
- Advised a leading Brazilian Bank on the UK tax planning issues relating to its London based staff.
The 2015 edition of Chambers and Partners says that practice head, Sarah Cardew, is “very well regarded and technically very strong”.