Joint Ventures & Investment Agreements
Joint ventures provide a clear structure for parties to share business risk, resources and ultimately rewards. They can involve complex issues and legal structures, and can take many forms including:
- Corporate joint ventures involving the acquisition of shares and investment shareholder agreements;
- Commercial joint ventures based on contractual arrangements or strategic alliances; and
Irrespective of the nature of the joint venture, our team has the depth and breadth of experience to help you identify, and resolve, the key issues and risks arising on any joint venture. Whether those issues relate to initial structuring, funding, profit sharing, management, introduction of new investors, formalising an exit strategy or otherwise, we’ll provide you with the commercial insight and recommendations necessary to secure a deal that’s right for you.
Our joint venture work often sees our corporate team working closely with other teams from our real estate, tax, intellectual property and employment practices. This is particularly so in the case of real estate where we frequently advise on complex joint ventures, often involving offshore jurisdictions and innovative tax-efficient structures.
Representative Joint Ventures & Investment Agreements Work
Examples of our team’s joint venture & investment agreement work include:
- Advised on a series of joint ventures for a leading UK celebrity magazine and newspaper publisher with a combined value in excess of £280m.
- Advised the Yoo Group on its investment with the Frasers Property Group on a £131m mixed-use tower scheme in Vauxhall.
- Advised a property development company on a £30m joint venture relating to the development of student accommodation in the north of England.
- Advised a consortium of private investors in connection with the acquisition of a significant interest in Babaji Pide, a Turkish food restaurant established by renowned restaurateur Alan Yau.
- Advised a UK based medical device manufacturer on a joint venture arrangement with a US based medical solution provider.
David SalisburyPartner Corporate and Commercial
As head of the firm’s corporate and commercial practice, David’s broad transactional experience includes acquisitions, disposals, take-overs and mergers, asset sales/purchases, joint ventures and company restructuring. He also advises clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including company/partnership formation, partnership/shareholders agreements and employment issues.
David has particular experience in the field of sport, acting amongst others for prospective purchasers of Premiership and Football League clubs in takeovers. He is also at the forefront of the development in England of the investment in and transfer of the economic rights of sportsmen and women.
For property investor clients, he has particular expertise in the disposal and acquisition of corporate and similar structures which assist in mitigating stamp duty land tax.
David has experience:
- Acting for investors in the economic rights of football players playing in the Premier League and the top divisions in other European Countries as well as in South America. Over the years, David has been involved in providing advice connected with the transfers, economic rights participation and/or playing rights of various Premier League and foreign based players including Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano, Jo, Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Fabiano and Heurelho Gomes to name but a few. More recently David has provided advice in relation to the following players: Paulhino (Tottenham) Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea) and Carlos Tevez (Juventus).
- Advising on a £430 million acquisition of a mixture of offshore and onshore companies owning 180 petrol stations and advising on the sale thereof three years later.
- Acting on a series joint ventures for a leading UK celebrity magazine and newspaper publisher with a combined value in excess of £280m.
- Acting for the prospective purchasers in their takeover of a Premier League Football Club.
- Advising on the £166 million sale of a group of companies with an industrial portfolio.
- Acting on the acquisition and financing of 545 public houses, worth £163 million.
- Advising on the £25 million sale to a UK plc of a leading UK independent internet service provider.
- Advising the founders and owners of a high end chain of London coffee shops on the sale, earn out and rollover of the owners’ differing interests in the business to a well known industry leading private equity firm.
- Advising the owners of a mining public relations agency on the sale of the worldwide operations to a UK quoted company.
Partner, Teacher Stern
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom