Mergers & Acquisitions
Whether it’s an acquisition, merger or disposal of a company or business, our specialist M&A team will work closely with you to understand and deliver your transaction. We’ll employ our expertise to help devise a deal strategy that’s appropriate for your particular situation; ensuring that your legal and commercial interests are fully protected at all times.
Our M&A lawyers have extensive experience in acting for buyers of privately owned businesses – particularly in the sub £50m market where we advise on approximately 50+ M&A deals per year, including cross border acquisitions and disposals. We work closely with the buyer’s deal team and professional advisors to identify and manage transaction risk, and to protect the buyer from potential liabilities.
We also advise sellers of privately owned companies and businesses on how best to structure their exit to maximise value and reduce risk. We are particularly renowned in the London market for acting for entrepreneurs selling their businesses – especially in the real estate, technology, gaming and hospitality sectors.
We appreciate that buying or selling a business can be a big drain on your time, especially when your focus often needs to remain on running your business. That’s why all our transactions teams are led by experienced corporate lawyers who will manage the entire process from start to finish, ensuring that potential problems are anticipated and dealt with before they arise. Our M&A teams work closely with our tax, banking & finance, employment and real estate teams to provide a full service to our clients.
Representative Mergers & Acquisitions Work
Examples of our team’s mergers & acquisitions work include:
- Advised on the £166m sale of a group of companies with an industrial portfolio.
- Advised Metroline Limited on its acquisition of bus routes operated from five separate bus depots in West London from First Group plc for £57.5 million.
- Advised on the £270m sale of a property holding company comprising two shopping centres situated at London Underground stations.
- Advised on a £430m acquisition of a mixture of offshore and onshore companies owning 180 petrol stations and advised on the sale thereof three years later to a global petroleum company.
- Advised the shareholders of Galliard Healthcare Communications on the sale of the company to FTSE listed UDG Group plc for a purchase price of £13m.
- Advised Guggenheim & Partners (New York) in connection with the acquisition of a household financial services company based in London.
- Advised the majority shareholders of Voxygen Limited on its disposal to the Dutch based communications group, Lebara.
Martine NathanPartner Corporate and Commercial
Martine acts and advises in relation to all aspects of corporate and commercial work. She heads our Technology and Communications Group and is also a certified data protection practitioner.
Martine is ranked as an expert in the Legal 500 and praised as being “acutely commercial”.
Martine specialises in non-contentious information technology / intellectual property work with an emphasis on e-commerce (especially online gaming), emerging technologies, payment and media/data platforms. Martine has provided legal advice (both as commercial counsel and on transactional work) to very many entities within the on-line gaming services sector. A number of these clients engage Teacher Stern on a ‘retained’ basis and as such we undertake their complex commercial negotiations, acting as their “in-house” counsel.
Martine also provides data protection advice, acts on the sale and purchase of private companies, structures shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, advises on software contracts, and related services, outsourcing, shared service arrangements, data services, reorganisations and all complex commercial negotiations.
Further examples of work for Teacher Stern includes:
· acting for the founders and management on the sale of the Genius Sports Group (a global leader in sports data technology) to funds advised by Apax Partners (private equity);
· advising Brambles plc (Australian listed entity) on its acquisition of Airworld Containers Limited;
· leading (for a fully listed plc) its European legal team on its acquisition of a group of pan European companies;
· advising a sports data entity on the sale of its Asian operations;
· buying and selling telecom channel and energy resale partners and structuring resell business models;
· negotiating the transfer of a media delivery platform and business asset purchase;
· acting for Recall Limited on its acquisition of C21 Data Management Services (Scotland);
· acting for a booking platform company in raising private equity monies and documenting investment terms;
· selling a chain of health clubs;
· acting on the global procurement of financial software to international banks;
· advising the selling shareholders of the Made Simple Group (business products and services for start ups and small companies) to Moneypenny Limited;
· acting for Corona Corporate Solutions Limited (print/copy and digital solutions) in connection with its acquisition programme including the acquisitions of Copylogic Limited, Bureautech Limited and CBE Solutions Limited;
· advising Eyecon Alderney Limited (online gaming slots software) on its commercial negotiations with gaming operators and acting for its shareholders on their sale to Playtech plc;
· advising technology providers and licensees on all agreements ancillary to technology; evaluation agreements, maintenance and support arrangements, acceptance test procedures, integration, escrow arrangements, service level agreements (and credits for breach) and hosting; and
· providing data protection mapping, audits and GDPR compliance reviews, including training to clients.
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom