Probate & Administration of Estates
As specialist probate lawyers, we understand the many practical issues and family tensions that arise following a death and apply a sensitive but professional approach in dealing with the ensuing probate and administration process.
Our understanding of succession in the context of businesses, partnerships and trusts enables us to guide clients quickly towards the means by which they can preserve the value of their loved one’s estates. This is particularly important where assets need ongoing management to maintain value.
We guide our clients through the process of applying for a grant of probate or letters of administration, and administering the deceased’s estate thereafter. In doing so, we endeavour to make the entire process as straightforward as possible, taking care to approach every stage in a caring and sensitive manner.
Our experienced team can manage and administer the entire estate, including preparing and submitting inheritance tax accounts to HMRC and applying for grants of probate, or simply assisting at key stages of the administration process as and when required.
The international nature of our client base means that we regularly advise on the administration of estates with international assets and dimensions. This can involve dealing with cross border succession laws, conflicts of law principles and double taxation issues; and, where required, liaising with local counsel and other international advisors.
Representative Probate & Administration of Estates Work
Examples of our team’s Probate & Administration of Estates work include:
- Advised on numerous domestic and international probates and estate administrations ranging in value up to £20 million.
- Advised executors on the application and interpretation of numerous double taxation treaties which successfully resulted in the mitigation of UK inheritance tax payable by the deceased’s estate.
- Advised on numerous successful challenges to the HMRC relating to the non-domiciled status of deceased testators, which resulted in either no inheritance tax payable or substantial reductions.
- Advised on conflicts of laws relating to probate and administration in several jurisdictions, including Scandinavia, Switzerland and Pakistan.
- Advised executors in connection with obtaining unusual, specialist and complex grants of probate.
Elizabeth JonesPartner Private Client
Elizabeth is a partner and heads the Private Client department at Teacher Stern. She deals with all aspects of estate planning, including Will drafting, advising clients in relation to inheritance tax planning, obtaining probate and administering estates and preparing Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Working mainly with high net worth individuals and entrepreneurs, her clients are both UK and foreign domiciled. She advises on all aspects of inheritance tax mitigation, including structured lifetime planning, tailored and tax efficient Wills, succession planning and establishing trusts. In addition, she has developed specialist knowledge in relation to inheritance tax planning for non-domiciled clients using asset protection strategies and offshore trusts.
Elizabeth also has experience in administering large, international estates. This has involved dealing with a range of assets in various international jurisdictions, as well as tackling complex succession and cross border inheritance tax issues.
Year Qualified 2003
Education: BPP Law School
37 – 41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom