Landlord & Tenant
Teacher Stern has an established landlord and tenant practice advising a broad spectrum of clients including landlords and tenants in the office, retail, leisure and hospitality sectors; as well as real estate investors, developers, lenders, pension funds, investment funds, private equity funds and insurance companies generally.
We advise on a wide range of landlord and tenant matters including:
- office, retail and industrial leases;
- lease portfolios and restructuring;
- sale and leasebacks;
- net, gross, semi-net/gross and base-year leases; and
- lease assignments, subleases and surrenders.
We have extensive experience of negotiating and drafting all forms of leases in the retail and hospitality sector where we act for dozens of household name tenants in the retail, cafe and restaurant sectors, as well as landlords.
Our experience of acting for both landlords and tenants on a daily basis means that we have a solid and current understanding of the issues, concerns and risks facing our clients. We understand the dynamics that exist between a landlord’s need to enhance income and capital value on one hand and the needs of a tenant on the other to maintain flexibility and security on the other. Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant, our commercial leasing lawyers have the experience and expertise necessary to ensure that your commercial objectives can be met.
Invariably, as with most business arrangements, disputes will arise between landlords and tenants. When they do, our Real Estate lawyers work closely with our Dispute Resolution lawyers to provide clients with strategic advice and legal analysis on the lease terms in dispute, default, termination, landlord and tenant rights, remedies and enforcement.
Representative Landlord & Tenant Work
Examples of our landlord & tenant work include:
- Advised on a new beauty salon operation setting up in the UK.
- Advised Boos Juice bars on its expansion in the UK.
- Advised Lola’s Cupcakes on its various new outlets.
- Advised Burger & Lobster on its various new outlets.
- Advised Ed’s Easy Diner on its various new outlets.
- Advised the tenant in opening the first and/or best kimono shop in the UK.