Real Estate Tax
Our Real Estate Tax team, which is regularly ranked in both the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners legal directories, frequently advises real estate clients operating in the following sectors:
- Hotels and leisure
- Restaurants and cafes
- Shopping centres
We also have significant experience in advising clients on real estate matters in other sectors such as financial services, social housing, data management, healthcare and the charitable sector.
In particular, we offer expert tax advice in respect of each of the following taxes:
- Capital allowances
- Construction Industry Scheme
- Non-resident Landlord registration
- Contaminated land tax relief
We act for a wide variety of real estate clients including investors, property funds and property developers. In doing so, we apply our tax expertise in a manner that gives our clients clear, pragmatic and practical advice that helps them minimise their tax exposure whilst complying with the tax system in the UK.
Representative Real Estate Tax Work
Examples of our team’s real estate tax work include:
- Advised on the implementation of a tax efficient corporate structure relating to the acquisition and ‘mixed use’ development of a major Brownfield site close to the London Olympic Park.
- Advised a group of offshore sellers on a corporate real estate transaction involving the sale of a property holding company, encompassing a landmark London hotel, and the subsequent leaseback of that hotel to the seller’s operating company.
- Advised a leading house builder on the tax aspects of joint venture projects with various registered social landlords on the development of ‘private/public’ residential schemes.
- Advised a renowned English county cricket club on the tax issues relating to the building (including on the significant quasi equity finance element) of its stadium.
- Advised a leading European bank on the tax implications of a debtor-backed restructuring of its UK real estate loan portfolio (which included enhanced debt/equity arrangements).
- Advised a Luxembourg based fund on the tax aspects relating to the operation and establishment of a fund set up to buy £50 million worth of UK commercial real estate.