Our Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners ranked Corporate Tax team advises clients ranging from multi-nationals to financial institutions to start-ups on the tax aspects of corporate, commercial and real estate transactions.
We apply our technical expertise in order to provide clients with succinct, pragmatic and practical advice that helps them minimise their tax exposure whilst complying with the tax system in the UK.
Our corporate tax lawyers advise UK and overseas clients on transactional and corporate taxes, including Corporation Tax, Value Added Tax (VAT) and Stamp Duty, in relation to all areas of business activity including mergers and acquisitions, group reorganisations, joint ventures, private equity/venture capital structures and work outs.
We have a specialist expertise in and frequently advise on the tax aspects of corporate real estate transactions where we regularly advise a mix of high net worth individuals, institutions, investors and property developers on the VAT, SDLT and corporation tax implications of real estate transactions.
Representative Corporate Tax Work
Examples of our corporate work include:
- Advised CHEP Aerospace Solutions (a division of, Australian listed, Brambles) on the tax aspects of its acquisition of Airworld Services and Airworld Containers for $15.7m.
- Advised on the tax implications relating to the acquisition and disposal of various shopping centres across the UK; including the sale of two high value malls situated at London Underground stations for a combined value of £270m.
- Advised a leading house builder on the tax aspects of joint venture projects with various registered social landlords on the development of ‘private/public’ residential schemes.
- Advised a renowned English county cricket club on the tax issues relating to the building (including on the significant quasi equity finance element) of its stadium.
- Advised a leading European bank on the tax implications of a debtor-backed restructuring of its UK real estate loan portfolio (which included enhanced debt/equity arrangements).
- Advised on the establishment of an incubator venture capital fund, and its subsequent advisory and investment activities.
- Advised a Luxembourg based fund on the tax aspects relating to the operation and establishment of a fund set up to buy £50 million worth of UK commercial real estate.
Chambers and Partners 2015 says that Sarah Cardew is “very well regarded and technically strong.”