Factors such as aging populations, behavioural changes, financial pressures and the introduction of new technologies are all playing a part in shaping how we think about and deliver healthcare services.
With many clients at the forefront of this exciting and evolving industry, Teacher Stern’s growing healthcare team has recently advised on a vast array of legal matters in the healthcare sector including on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, joint ventures, commercial contracts, intellectual property, employment, real estate developments and dispute resolution.
In addition to advising pharmacies, dental practices and GPs, our Real Estate, Corporate and Tax teams provide a significant amount of advice in relation to the development, sale, purchase and lease of residential care homes and nursing homes registered under the Care Standards Act 2000. We have an in-depth knowledge of matters which are specific to care homes such as residents’ contracts, commercial and supplier contracts and facility service agreements.
Our Commercial team regularly advises on issues relating to intellectual property rights, licensing, data protection and privacy; as well as on general commercial contracts in the sector.
Our healthcare clients include investors, developers, independent providers of residential care, medical device manufacturers, providers of healthcare finance, dentists and general practitioners. We work closely with our clients assisting them in developing often complex transactional structures within a constantly changing regulatory landscape.
Examples of our healthcare work include:
- Advised the shareholders of Galliard Healthcare Communications on the sale of the company to FTSE listed UDG Group plc for a purchase price of £13m.
- Advised a family office in connection with the sale and purchase of three residential care homes from a national operator.
- Advised several clients in connection with the purchase of pharmacies.
- Advised an IVF payment programme provider on the corporate, commercial, tax and regulatory implications of setting up in the UK, as well as on numerous agency agreements with existing IVF clinics.
- Advised a medical device manufacturer on the registration of intellectual property rights and the assignment and licence of intellectual property rights to a third party as part of an international joint venture.
- Advised a medical products manufacturer and supplier to the NHS in relation to all its commercial documentation; supply agreements, marketing agency contracts, distribution agreements and product use terms and conditions.
- Advised a major data management company in connection with numerous contracts with the NHS.
- Advised on the £13m purchase of a portfolio of nursing homes located across the UK.
- Advised on the purchase and development of an autism centre in Bedford.