Navinder GroverPartner Dispute Resolution
Navinder is an experienced Commercial Litigation Partner, who is also the Head of our Insolvency Department, as well as leading our Civil Confiscation and Restraint team.
Navinder is a robust litigator and a thoughtful strategist who has handled claims on behalf of HNWIs, multinationals and nation states. He is regularly involved in a broad range of complex litigation matters, from contractual and property to professional negligence disputes, including domestic litigation and international arbitration.
He balances the commercial needs of his clients with the complex and demanding skills needed to succeed in High Court litigation, paying careful attention to the nuances and details that are often critical to success at trial.
Since 2003 he has led teams of solicitors in civil restraint and confiscation proceedings. Over this time, Navinder has advised a wide range of clients including a Saudi billionaire, various substantial corporate clients as well as family members of the Defendant, whose assets have become innocently entangled in criminal restraint or confiscation proceedings.
He has advised a variety of clients on insolvency and restructuring issues, providing bespoke and pro-active advice to directors and investors. He has provided advice in relation to pre-packaged Administrations which have enabled clients to continue to trade through these challenging times. He is regularly instructed by Administrators, Liquidators and Trustees in Bankruptcy and has pursued a large number of successful actions on their behalf.
He is an affiliate member of the Insolvency Practitioners Association, holding a Certificate of Proficiency in Insolvency.
Navinder’s experience includes:
• Advising a substantial property developer on a multimillion pound claim against two other parties, involving a claim in deceit and conspiracy to injure in addition to complex contractual and professional negligence claims. This was settled during trial on highly advantageous term.
• Advising two shareholders of a chain of food retailers in respect of an unfair prejudice action involving 5 companies and several sets of shareholders. The claims includes property, cash and goodwill worth in excess of £3m, bringing multifaceted claims for misfeasance and breach of fiduciary duties against the other parties.
• Advising an institutional national lender on a £4.2m professional negligence claim against a blue chip firm of surveyors, achieving excellent settlement terms
• Advising a client in ICC Arbitration proceedings including allegations of Advance Fee Fraud to the value of £3.2m.
• Advising a property developer client in relation to a £1.9 m fraud against him by his business partners and achieving settlement terms
• Advising the family of a Defendant and his business partners, bringing 7 actions against the CPS to secure the release of £2.7m of assets and cash over which the CPS had obtained a Confiscation Order
• Advising the family of a criminal Defendant in respect of a Confiscation Order secured by the CPS in respect of an investment property portfolio valued at £3.8m. Successfully securing the release of the entire portfolio following early voluntary disclosure and the threat of litigation.
• Advising a business client and secured the release from a Restraint Order of a £31.7m company sold by the Defendant to a client days before a Restraint Order was obtained.
• Advising a Defendant in Confiscation Proceedings in relation to negligent advice provided by his criminal solicitors and Counsel and successfully reducing the amount to be paid by him from £5.8m to £46,000
• Advising Liquidators in relation to the unlawful re-organisation of a business, leaving substantial creditor claims unpaid whilst assets worth in excess of £16m had been stripped from the group. Pursuing claims against the directors and related companies.
• Advising a property developer on the restructuring of his £55m property portfolio to secure an exit from Administration
• Advising a Liquidator in respect of a claim against directors of an insolvent company who paid £350,000 into their pension funds 6 months before liquidation, including issuing proceedings and negotiating settlement
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Teacher Stern, Mundays
37 – 41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom