We have a specialist team of financial Dispute Resolution experts at Teacher Stern with a wide range of experience in resolving high-value and complex banking and financial disputes. Our advice spans a broad range of domestic and international disputes including in relation to:
- bank-customer/mis-selling claims;
- consumer credit disputes;
- fraud and asset tracing claims;
- private and retail banking disputes (including Loan & Security Enforcement and Restructuring);
- real estate and asset finance disputes; and
- worldwide freezing injunctions.
The resolution of these disputes often involves litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. As well as having significant experience in domestic court proceedings, we also have a wealth of experience in international arbitrations and many other forms of alternative dispute resolution including CEDR mediations and arbitrations under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and many more.
Our clients benefit from the experience and expertise of our lawyers who provide them with practical commercial advice. We take the time to understand our client’s commercial objectives and to tailor our advice accordingly. By helping clients to understand the legal issues and available options, we assist them in managing risk and making the best strategic and commercial decisions for their businesses.
We have a strong reputation in the market and are frequently called upon to represent financial institutions, banks, insurance companies, mortgage lenders, funds, finance industry professionals and high net worth investors.
Representative Financial Disputes Work
Examples of our team’s financial disputes work include:
- Advised a well-known English commodities company in connection with a USD $15 million dispute with a supply company in Ghana.
- Advised VIAC Eastern European Export Bank in connection with a performance guarantee claim made against it.
- Advised in the successful recovery of £1.5m from the perpetrator of property fraud; which involved cross-border asset tracing and the obtaining of worldwide injunctions.
- Advised a notable Russian commodity house in respect of a £20 million fraud predicated against it.
- Advised a lender in connection with the enforcement and realisation of its fixed and floating charge over the book debts of a defaulting borrower.
Colin RichmanPartner Dispute Resolution
Colin joined Teacher Stern in 1987. His current cases mainly involve landlord and tenant issues, secured lending recoveries, professional negligence claims, and real estate joint venture / co-ownership disputes. He heads the Real Estate Disputes and Loan & Security Enforcement teams across all areas of property and secured lending dispute work, and works with a number of key clients to co-ordinate and implement effective asset management strategies and loan portfolio recoveries.
His experience also includes construction claims, planning and compulsory purchase advice, contentious insolvency work, advising parties and tribunals in commercial arbitrations, intellectual property claims and technology disputes.
- Advised and acted for mortgagees and fixed charge receivers in connection with their commercial and residential investment loan portfolios.
- Advised on and implemented strategies to enable site owners to secure vacant possession for redevelopment purposes.
- Advised shopping centre landlords and asset managers in achieving successful outcomes to lease renewal programmes at major schemes.
- Advised on numerous rent reviews and arbitration awards.
- Obtained substantial settlement in Technology and Construction Court action against specialist contractors for defective development works.
- Advised and acted for landlords and lessees on substantial terminal tenancy dilapidations claims.
Partner, Teacher Stern
Partner, Portner and Jaskel 1985–87
Solicitor, then Partner, Farmar Miller 1982-85
Trained at Kaufman Kramer & Shebson 1980-82
St Catherine’s College Oxford
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom