Banking & Finance
Our Legal 500 ranked banking & finance team provides tailored legal advice for both lenders and borrowers across a wide range of bilateral, club and syndicated loan facilities. We have a comprehensive understanding of the banking and finance markets and enjoy approved panel solicitor status with a number of the leading banks in the London market.
We possess a depth of cross-border expertise which allows us to cater for the domestic and cross border needs of our clients. On cross border transactions, we work closely with trusted advisors in other jurisdictions who we know we can depend on to deliver the results we know you expect.
In a fluctuating lending market, we recognise that the efficient delivery of commercially viable solutions to complex financial issues is essential to our clients’ success. The size and structure of our banking & finance team allows us to do this by providing a personal, responsive and dynamic service to our clients.
As lawyers, we appreciate that our role is not just about protecting your interests; it’s also about being proactive and formulating solutions to make sure the deal actually happens. As such, we take a proactive role in seeking to know and understand our clients’ businesses and to help them capitalise on opportunities afforded to them.
We work with many of the main international and domestic banks, building societies and finance houses operating in the UK market. So, whether you are financing a small start-up or a multi-million pound transaction, you will have a team of lawyers on your side who not only understands the banking and finance arena in which you find yourself but also understands your needs.
Our client base includes overseas and domestic banks, bridging lenders, institutional investors, limited partnerships, corporates, investment trusts, structured funds, entrepreneurs, high net worth individuals and private equity firms.
What We Do
The areas covered by our Banking & Finance practice include:
Representative Banking & Finance Work
Examples of our team’s banking & finance work include:
- Advised on a US$140m bilateral on demand loan facility to a Delaware company in connection with the acquisition of shares in another Delaware company.
- Advised a finance provider in connection with a £100m receivables finance facility secured from Macquarie Bank.
- Advised the liquidator of a national hotel chain in relation to the obligations of the defaulting group in connection with secured lending facilities advanced to it.
- Advised a notable Russian commodity house in respect of a £20 million fraud predicated against it.
- Advised a group of borrower companies in connection with a £46m refinance of a revolving working capital facility secured on a large portfolio of properties (both residential and commercial).
- Advised a borrower in relation to a development term loan facility of £55m and an investment term facility of £6.25m secured in connection with the development of 120 residential units with commercial space on the ground floor.
- Advised a household name in relation to a £60m loan from Lloyds Bank plc which was secured over 70 properties.
- Advised a junior lender in relation to a joint venture loan arrangement with Investec Bank plc. The total loan commitment was £18.2m which was secured on a development property located in London SW1.
Contact our team:
Claire GibsonPartner Banking and Finance
Claire has a wealth of experience in general lending and security matters including complex intercreditor arrangements.
She acts for a wide range of UK and international financial institutions, as well as a variety of borrowers, in relation to domestic and cross-border finance transactions on a bilateral, club or syndicated basis. Claire’s particular expertise is property finance, corporate lending and acquisition finance.
Claire has undertaken a secondment to a private wealth bank where she was part of the banking and credit legal team and supported a specific area of the business by delivering transactional support, predominantly in relation to property finance matters.
Claire has also worked closely with and supported the in-house legal teams of large financial institutions through virtual secondments and outsourcing projects. She has a wealth of experience in drafting and reviewing bank standard form loan and security documentation.
Claire qualified in 2003 and joined the firm as a partner in 2014.