Intellectual property is a vital asset for many businesses. It encapsulates the ideas, designs, brand names, know-how, images, creations and technologies of that business; and how those assets are protected, exploited and managed at each stage of their life cycle can have a significant impact on the value of the underlying business.
Teacher Stern’s commercial lawyers are experts in all areas of intellectual property registration and protection. We advise on:
- trademarks (registered and unregistered)
- image rights
- brand management
- trade secrets
- false advertising and related unfair competition issues
We work closely with our clients to develop IP protection policies to ensure that their intellectual property assets are not inadvertently diluted and are properly protected. We advise on licensing intellectual property rights and making the most of our clients’ ideas – without prejudicing their protectability. In recent years we have represented and advised both public and private companies in IP licensing and exploitation transactions, many involving highly complex issues, cutting edge technologies or well-known trademarks, brands and copyrighted works.
Our intellectual property team also advises a large number of clients on the registration and acquisition of domain names and how best to protect those names. We represent clients in relation to internet specific intellectual property issues including domain name privacy, meta tags and deep linking infringements.
Where necessary, the lawyers in our intellectual property team work closely with other lawyers in our dispute resolution team to ensure that our clients’ rights are protected in the robust manner they sometimes need to be.
Representative Intellectual Property Work
Examples of our team’s intellectual property work include:
- Advised numerous hospitality clients in relation to intellectual property matters and brand protection strategies including Goodman Restaurants, Burger and Lobster, Galvin Restaurants and Ed’s Easy Diner.
- Advised numerous clients on trade mark registrations and trade mark disputes.
- Advised clients on, and created, “white label” documentation for use by large corporate clients wishing to take a third party’s goods and/or services and package them as their own.
- Advised clients on the transfer, acquisition, licencing and disposal of brand names.
- Advised on domain name disputes and resolution strategies.
- Advised on the establishment of international IP licensing and licence fee structures.
Martine NathanPartner Corporate and Commercial
Martine acts and advises in relation to all aspects of corporate and commercial work. She heads our Technology and Communications Group and is also a certified data protection practitioner.
Martine is ranked as an expert in the Legal 500 and praised as being “acutely commercial”.
Martine specialises in non-contentious information technology / intellectual property work with an emphasis on e-commerce (especially online gaming), emerging technologies, payment and media/data platforms. Martine has provided legal advice (both as commercial counsel and on transactional work) to very many entities within the on-line gaming services sector. A number of these clients engage Teacher Stern on a ‘retained’ basis and as such we undertake their complex commercial negotiations, acting as their “in-house” counsel.
Martine also provides data protection advice, acts on the sale and purchase of private companies, structures shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, advises on software contracts, and related services, outsourcing, shared service arrangements, data services, reorganisations and all complex commercial negotiations.
Further examples of work for Teacher Stern includes:
· acting for the founders and management on the sale of the Genius Sports Group (a global leader in sports data technology) to funds advised by Apax Partners (private equity);
· advising Brambles plc (Australian listed entity) on its acquisition of Airworld Containers Limited;
· leading (for a fully listed plc) its European legal team on its acquisition of a group of pan European companies;
· advising a sports data entity on the sale of its Asian operations;
· buying and selling telecom channel and energy resale partners and structuring resell business models;
· negotiating the transfer of a media delivery platform and business asset purchase;
· acting for Recall Limited on its acquisition of C21 Data Management Services (Scotland);
· acting for a booking platform company in raising private equity monies and documenting investment terms;
· selling a chain of health clubs;
· acting on the global procurement of financial software to international banks;
· advising the selling shareholders of the Made Simple Group (business products and services for start ups and small companies) to Moneypenny Limited;
· acting for Corona Corporate Solutions Limited (print/copy and digital solutions) in connection with its acquisition programme including the acquisitions of Copylogic Limited, Bureautech Limited and CBE Solutions Limited;
· advising Eyecon Alderney Limited (online gaming slots software) on its commercial negotiations with gaming operators and acting for its shareholders on their sale to Playtech plc;
· advising technology providers and licensees on all agreements ancillary to technology; evaluation agreements, maintenance and support arrangements, acceptance test procedures, integration, escrow arrangements, service level agreements (and credits for breach) and hosting; and
· providing data protection mapping, audits and GDPR compliance reviews, including training to clients.
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom