Business disputes can be disruptive, stressful and expensive. Teacher Stern’s Dispute Resolution team will act swiftly to identify your key commercial objectives and the essence of the dispute, driving swiftly and decisively to a solution with the minimum of fuss.
Armed with a thorough understanding of your business, we will employ a tough yet strategic approach to secure the results your business needs, using the whole range of dispute resolution techniques including face-to-face negotiation, mediation and arbitration as well as the Courts.
Our service is “partner involved” not just “partner led”, delivering a first-class service and successful commercial outcomes at costs that compare very favourably with City and other international network firms.
You will find more information about the breadth of our experience in specialist areas by following the links below.
What We Do
The areas covered by our Dispute Resolution practice include:
- Banking & Financial
- Commercial Disputes
- Construction Disputes
- Corporate Disputes
- Debt recovery claim up to the value of £100,000
- Fraud, Financial Crime & Asset Recovery
- Intellectual Property
- International Dispute Resolution
- Loan & Security Enforcement
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate Disputes
Representative Dispute Resolution Work
Examples of our team’s dispute resolution experience include:
- Advised a Canadian metals billionaire in connection with a successful USD $50m action against London Metal Exchange brokers.
- Advised a Fortune 100 company in connection with LCIA arbitration proceedings arising out of a telecommunications satellite construction contract.
- Advised a notable Russian commodity house in respect of a £20m fraud predicated against it.
- Advised a Fortune 1000 company in connection with Linked ICC arbitrations proceedings concerning the development of a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in the Middle East.
- Advised several secured lenders and receivers in more than 700 commercial/buy-to-let/residential investment portfolio enforcement cases.
- Advised a client involved in a LME Arbitration relating to the USD $30m loss arising from manipulation of the LME tin market in 2009 by U.K. and U.S. parties. Ancillary proceedings were issued in the High Court and a related FINRA claim was issued in the U.S.
- Advised the plaintiff in a USD $45m multifaceted, cross border conspiracy and loss of opportunity case involving the distribution of oil additives to Iraq. The case went to trial in the Commercial Court and involved the electronic disclosure of more than 1 million documents.
The team are very personable communicative and provide the facts and their advice. They have also been excellent in looking at the issues from both a strategic and tactical level in terms of next stages within the service provision and anticipating of future activities.
Close attention to detail and calm advice to clients in a highly emotive situation
You feel like you are their only client. Always approachable and happy to have sensible discussions around fees.
Professional and straightforward approach. A practical approach to a complex issue. I have worked predominantly alongside Clare Toomer and have found her to be personable, approachable and highly knowledgeable. She will defer to wise council / colleagues where issues are beyond her subject matter expertise and will be direct in her approach where needed and professional at all times.
‘The team are efficient and get things done. They won’t leave a stone unturned to get to the right answer with a firm eye on the commercials.’
‘The dispute resolution team at Teacher Stern have an array of high quality work and individuals. A particular recent trend is group claims against financial institutions and professionals. The team is especially good at coordinating and managing complex, high value group claims, which often involve steering committees of clients, insurers and difficult opponents.’
‘The individuals are professional, thorough and a delight to work with’
Legal 500 testimonials
Contact our team:
Colin RichmanPartner Dispute Resolution
Colin joined Teacher Stern in 1987. His current cases mainly involve landlord and tenant issues, secured lending recoveries, professional negligence claims, and real estate joint venture / co-ownership disputes. He heads the Real Estate Disputes and Loan & Security Enforcement teams across all areas of property and secured lending dispute work, and works with a number of key clients to co-ordinate and implement effective asset management strategies and loan portfolio recoveries.
His experience also includes construction claims, planning and compulsory purchase advice, contentious insolvency work, advising parties and tribunals in commercial arbitrations, intellectual property claims and technology disputes.
- Advised and acted for mortgagees and fixed charge receivers in connection with their commercial and residential investment loan portfolios.
- Advised on and implemented strategies to enable site owners to secure vacant possession for redevelopment purposes.
- Advised shopping centre landlords and asset managers in achieving successful outcomes to lease renewal programmes at major schemes.
- Advised on numerous rent reviews and arbitration awards.
- Obtained substantial settlement in Technology and Construction Court action against specialist contractors for defective development works.
- Advised and acted for landlords and lessees on substantial terminal tenancy dilapidations claims.
Partner, Teacher Stern
Partner, Portner and Jaskel 1985–87
Solicitor, then Partner, Farmar Miller 1982-85
Trained at Kaufman Kramer & Shebson 1980-82
St Catherine’s College Oxford
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom