Real Estate Tax
Our tax team frequently advises real estate clients operating in a wide range of real estate sectors including hotels and leisure; retail; Restaurants and cafes; and Shopping centres. We act for a wide variety of real estate clients including investors, property funds and property developers.
We also have significant experience in advising clients on real estate matters in other sectors such as financial services, social housing, data management, healthcare and the charitable sector.
We offer expert tax advice in respect of all taxes involved in real estate transactions, whether they are direct dealings in land, or transactions involving property-owning companies. Our advice covers VAT, SDLT, Capital allowances, Construction Industry Scheme, Non-resident Landlord registration and ATED.
Representative Real Estate Tax Work
Examples of our team’s real estate tax work include:
- Advised on the implementation of a tax efficient corporate structure relating to the acquisition and ‘mixed use’ development of a major Brownfield site close to the London Olympic Park.
- Advised a group of offshore sellers on a corporate real estate transaction involving the sale of a property holding company, encompassing a landmark London hotel, and the subsequent leaseback of that hotel to the seller’s operating company.
- Advised a leading house builder on the tax aspects of joint venture projects with various registered social landlords on the development of ‘private/public’ residential schemes.
- Advised a renowned English county cricket club on the tax issues relating to the building (including on the significant quasi equity finance element) of its stadium.
- Advised a leading European bank on the tax implications of a debtor-backed restructuring of its UK real estate loan portfolio (which included enhanced debt/equity arrangements).
- Advised a Luxembourg based fund on the tax aspects relating to the operation and establishment of a fund set up to buy £50 million worth of UK commercial real estate.
Samuel RipponPartner Tax
Sam is a solicitor and Chartered Tax Adviser. He is a corporate tax specialist who advises a range of clients from individual entrepreneurs to multi-national corporations and has extensive experience of dealing with the tax issues that clients face.
Sam has a particular interest in the taxation of property transactions and spent 6 months on secondment with the British Property Federation. He also advises on M&A transactions, finance transactions and fund structures, as well as investment reliefs (such as Enterprise Investment Scheme relief) and exit planning when successful business owners sell their businesses.
Advising on remuneration planning and share schemes has also formed a significant part of Sam’s practice – particularly Enterprise Management Incentive (EMI) share option schemes.
Sam is a member of the Chartered Institute of Tax and an associate member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Macfarlanes LLP – Assistant Solicitor
Bristows LLP – Senior Associate