Factors such as aging populations, behavioural changes, financial pressures and the introduction of new technologies are all playing a part in shaping how we think about and deliver healthcare services.
With many clients at the forefront of this exciting and evolving industry, Teacher Stern’s growing healthcare team has recently advised on a vast array of legal matters in the healthcare sector including on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, joint ventures, commercial contracts, intellectual property, employment, real estate developments and dispute resolution.
In addition to advising pharmacies, dental practices and GPs, our Real Estate, Corporate and Tax teams provide a significant amount of advice in relation to the development, sale, purchase and lease of residential care homes and nursing homes registered under the Care Standards Act 2000. We have an in-depth knowledge of matters which are specific to care homes such as residents’ contracts, commercial and supplier contracts and facility service agreements.
Our Commercial team regularly advises on issues relating to intellectual property rights, licensing, data protection and privacy; as well as on general commercial contracts in the sector.
Our healthcare clients include investors, developers, independent providers of residential care, medical device manufacturers, providers of healthcare finance, dentists and general practitioners. We work closely with our clients assisting them in developing often complex transactional structures within a constantly changing regulatory landscape.
Examples of our healthcare work include:
- Advised the shareholders of Galliard Healthcare Communications on the sale of the company to FTSE listed UDG Group plc for a purchase price of £13m.
- Advised a family office in connection with the sale and purchase of three residential care homes from a national operator.
- Advised several clients in connection with the purchase of pharmacies.
- Advised an IVF payment programme provider on the corporate, commercial, tax and regulatory implications of setting up in the UK, as well as on numerous agency agreements with existing IVF clinics.
- Advised a medical device manufacturer on the registration of intellectual property rights and the assignment and licence of intellectual property rights to a third party as part of an international joint venture.
- Advised a medical products manufacturer and supplier to the NHS in relation to all its commercial documentation; supply agreements, marketing agency contracts, distribution agreements and product use terms and conditions.
- Advised a major data management company in connection with numerous contracts with the NHS.
- Advised on the £13m purchase of a portfolio of nursing homes located across the UK.
- Advised on the purchase and development of an autism centre in Bedford.
David SalisburyPartner Corporate and Commercial
As head of the firm’s corporate and commercial practice, David’s broad transactional experience includes acquisitions, disposals, take-overs and mergers, asset sales/purchases, joint ventures and company restructuring. He also advises clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including company/partnership formation, partnership/shareholders agreements and employment issues.
David has particular experience in the field of sport, acting amongst others for prospective purchasers of Premiership and Football League clubs in takeovers. He is also at the forefront of the development in England of the investment in and transfer of the economic rights of sportsmen and women.
For property investor clients, he has particular expertise in the disposal and acquisition of corporate and similar structures which assist in mitigating stamp duty land tax.
David has experience:
- Acting for investors in the economic rights of football players playing in the Premier League and the top divisions in other European Countries as well as in South America. Over the years, David has been involved in providing advice connected with the transfers, economic rights participation and/or playing rights of various Premier League and foreign based players including Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano, Jo, Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Fabiano and Heurelho Gomes to name but a few. More recently David has provided advice in relation to the following players: Paulhino (Tottenham) Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea) and Carlos Tevez (Juventus).
- Advising on a £430 million acquisition of a mixture of offshore and onshore companies owning 180 petrol stations and advising on the sale thereof three years later.
- Acting on a series joint ventures for a leading UK celebrity magazine and newspaper publisher with a combined value in excess of £280m.
- Acting for the prospective purchasers in their takeover of a Premier League Football Club.
- Advising on the £166 million sale of a group of companies with an industrial portfolio.
- Acting on the acquisition and financing of 545 public houses, worth £163 million.
- Advising on the £25 million sale to a UK plc of a leading UK independent internet service provider.
- Advising the founders and owners of a high end chain of London coffee shops on the sale, earn out and rollover of the owners’ differing interests in the business to a well known industry leading private equity firm.
- Advising the owners of a mining public relations agency on the sale of the worldwide operations to a UK quoted company.
Partner, Teacher Stern
‘David Salisbury is extremely personable, has an acute commercial sense and instils every confidence that he will provide sound reasoned advice with his clients best interests and not there to score points with the other side.’
Legal 500 Testimonial
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom