Jonathan specialises in commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on the resolution of disputes relating to Real Estate, commercial and residential.
He has a long and successful track record of working with owners, occupiers, managing agents and property professionals in disputes involving commercial property, in particular, including the contentious aspects of lease renewals under Part 2 Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, breaches of lease covenants, interim and terminal dilapidations.
Jonathan also advises extensively in relation to contract, insolvency and other business-related disputes concerning property.
Jonathan is a trained mediator and has many years experience of representing clients in the mediation process. He has also written for the Estates Gazette and the Law Society Gazette.
- Advised commercial landlord in relation to assembly of site for major development and the opposition to the grant of new tenancies under Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
- Advised developer in relation to a claim to right of way over its land made by the adjoining land owner.
- Advised landlord of commercial premises in relation to breaches of covenant by its headlessee ultimately leading to the dismissal of the headlessee’s claim for relief from forfeiture and the grant of a new lease at four times the amount of the previous rent.
- Advised owner of high value residential premises in Central London resisting a claim to a beneficial ownership in the premises.
- Advised residential landlord in relation to claim for possession of tenancy protected by Rent Act 1977 following the making of an offer of suitable alternative accommodation.
- Advised tenants of premises whose leases were excluded from protection under Part II of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 in relation to their securing protected occupation after the contractual term of their underleases had come to an end.
- Advised occupier of restaurant premises in resisting freeholder’s claim for possession on the basis that its occupation was without licence or consent.
Partner, Teacher Stern 2010 to date
Consultant, Teacher Stern 2007 – 2010
Consultant, Portner and Jaskel 2003 – 2007
Partner, Binks Stern and successor practices 1982 – 2003
Solicitor, Binks Stern 1980-1982
Trainee, Binks Stern 1978 – 1980
University of Nottingham