Discrimination & Whistleblowing
Discrimination and whistleblowing cases are often complex and the financial costs can be high. The correct strategic and legal advice is crucial in successfully navigating the minefield that is discrimination and whistleblowing law, whether bringing or defending claims for clients, or working to prevent claims in the future.
Our employment lawyers have a wealth of experience acting in discrimination and whistleblowing cases, providing commercial and pragmatic advice and, if necessary, adopting the appropriate level of force in litigation. As our employment team acts for both employers and employees, we have a unique understanding of legal arguments and tactics used by both parties.
For employers, unlimited liability means that discrimination and whistleblowing claims can be time consuming and costly, both financially and in terms of reputation. The reduced cap on compensation for unfair dismissal claims also means that claimants are more likely than ever to include discrimination or whistleblowing elements to their claims to exert maximum leverage on employers to settle their claims.
Our employment lawyers also advise on minimising the risk of successful discrimination and whistleblowing claims by providing proper internal policies, procedures and training to protect the employer. Our team will take the time to understand employers’ wider commercial drivers and ensure that they receive the information they need to minimise their potential risk.
Representative Discrimination & Whistleblowing Work
Examples of our employment team’s discrimination & whistleblowing work include:
- Advised a former employee of a global financial services company in relation to unfair dismissal and discrimination claims resulting in an appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal and substantial award in our client’s favour.
- Successfully handling a strike out application for misconceived claims of sex discrimination against a high end London restaurant.
- Successfully defending a pregnancy discrimination claim against a well-known recruitment sector client including a successful claim for costs for our client.
- Successfully defending claims for sex, race and age discrimination and a claim for equal pay brought against a client in the financial services sector by a former employee.
Sarah GlocklerPartner Employment
Sarah qualified as a solicitor in 2002 and joined the firm in August 2012. Sarah is Head of Teacher Stern’s Employment practice.
Sarah has, along with Teacher Stern’s employment practice, been listed in the Legal 500 Directory.
Sarah advises a wide range of clients from large companies to senior executives on all aspects of employment law. These include advising companies on HR issues such as managing disciplinary and grievance procedures, redundancy advice, drafting contracts of employment and director’s service agreements, restrictive covenant advice, team moves and conducting employment tribunal and high court cases.
She also advises senior executives on managed, exits settlement agreements and share schemes.
Sarah is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
- Advised a Japanese Bank in relation to claims for unfair dismissal, race discrimination, sex discrimination and pregnancy discrimination.
- Advised a chain of American diners in relation to general HR matters and Employment Tribunal claims.
- Advised a pilot in relation to a whistleblowing claim.
- Advised a number of insurance companies, recruitment companies and dental practices in relation to injunctive proceedings in the High Court for breach of restrictive covenants and use of confidential information.
- Advised an insurance broker on an injunction application in relation to a team move and potential breaches of restrictive covenants.
- Advised advertising and PR companies, hotels and restaurants on the employment aspects of M&A transactions, in particular the application of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (TUPE).
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Teacher Stern
Partner, Abrahams Dresden
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom