David PonsfordPartner Corporate and Commercial
David is a corporate partner who has extensive experience advising companies and individuals on the acquisition & disposal of businesses, equity fundraisings, joint ventures & shareholders’ agreements, group reorganisations, commercial arrangements and equity capital markets transactions.
At any one time David is advising clients on various acquisitions and disposals. As David acts for both buyers and sellers he is well placed to anticipate issues which commonly arise and to ensure that the transaction runs smoothly.
David spends a considerable amount of time gaining a strong understanding of his clients’ businesses and their commercial objectives, which helps him to provide clear commercial advice tailored to each client’s business needs.
- Advising Ganfeng Lithium, the world’s third largest lithium metals producer, on its strategic equity investments into AIM listed Bacanora Lithium which is developing a very substantial lithium mine in Mexico. Subsequently acted for Ganfeng on its successful recommended takeover offer for Bacanora, acquiring the remaining shares in Bacanora for £186 million
- Advising Champneys on the acquisition of the Mottram Hall Hotel & Spa.
- Advised an outsourcing group on the acquisition of an outsourcing business with substantial interests in over ten countries.
- Acting for Baudoin & Lange, the successful high end British Belgium loafer manufacturer, as their legal adviser since the company’s formation, including in respect of various fundraising and shareholder arrangements, and the negotiation of commercial contracts.
- Advising a client on the acquisition of two student accommodation blocks in Cardiff, whilst also acting for a separate client on the share sale of a sizable student accommodation business in Canterbury.
- Advising the PMY Group on four separate acquisitions of UK businesses over a 15 month period.
- Advising a family office on a complex transaction involving the corporate sale of the freehold to a major supermarket and the simultaneous acquisition of a company owning a substantial office block in Mayfair, London.
- Advising the founder shareholder on the management buy-out of his printing business.
- Advising Polymateria, the leading provider of plastic degradation technology, on a significant investment from a strategic partner.
Legal 500 2021
‘David Ponsford and his team helped us with the A to Z of our series A fundraising. They did a fantastic job under a very tight deadline.’
‘David and his team truly cared about the success of us as a client. We have started with them when the company was just founded, and they have been instrumental to our success by believing in us as from early on.’
‘A forward-looking ethos that results in future-proof advice. David Ponsford is a consummate ‘conductor’ of the other members of his legal orchestra and gives off the feeling of being unflappable and in control.’
Legal 500 2022
‘David Ponsford understands the commerciality of a transaction and is prepared to depart from the standard norms to provide the advice and contracts needed for each individual transaction.’
‘David Ponsford is always dedicated to the work, very honest and transparent, commercially oriented and offers great reliability.’
Legal 500 2024 – listed as a recommended lawyer
‘David Ponsford is thoughtful, technically savvy and commercial.’
‘David Ponsford definitely stands out. He is always very responsive, ensuring clients have his attention. More importantly, his commercial awareness and practical approach is definitely an asset for the client to success in a transaction. Undoubtedly very competent in the area he has been advising.’
‘I have worked with them for numerous years and they are always extremely efficient. They always exceed my expectations with their service. David Ponsford, David Irwin, David Phillips and Phil Berry are just a few names that I could mention.’
‘They listen before they offer advice. David Ponsford and his team have always taken a very collaborative approach enabling us to play out various alternatives before taking a particular course of action in our transactions.’
Partner, Teacher Stern (2018)
Partner, Gowling WLG (2011 to 2018) (noting that Lawrence Graham merged with Wragge & Co to form Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co in May 2014, which subsequently became Gowling WLG in February 2016).
Senior Associate Solicitor, Lawrence Graham (2006-2011)
Associate Solicitor, Taylor Wessing (2000-2006)
Trainee Solicitor, Taylor Wessing (1998-2000)