Real Estate Investment
Teacher Stern has a long history of working with real estate investors and has advised on some of the largest, most prestigious and complex real estate transactions in London.
When we act for real estate investors, we are quite often involved from the very beginning and help our investor clients to structure their investments in a way that is both tax efficient and finance friendly whilst at the same time being robust enough to protect their interests legally. Our vast real estate experience means that we can tailor our advice to suit the roles and specific objectives of each of our investor clients.
At the outset of real estate investment transactions, we often draft and negotiate joint venture agreements, partnership and co-ownership documents, as dealing with the acquisition of the target real estate. We also advise on matters ranging from real estate finance, forward funding and selling, development, construction, planning, leasing and tax matters.
However, our involvement doesn’t stop once the structure is established and the real estate assets acquired. We appreciate that for real estate investments to perform, they need to be proactively managed. Our real estate lawyers have a wealth of knowledge and experience in managing portfolios ranging from shopping centres to office buildings, residential blocks and industrial estates and will work with our clients through the investment life cycle to help ensure their investment objectives are achieved. We also work closely with clients, managing agents and other professional advisers to achieve this.
We have a deep and comprehensive understanding of the real estate sector and provide our investor clients with a comprehensive set of legal services that enables them to acquire, grow and manage their real estate investments.
Representative Real Estate Investment Work
Examples of our real estate investment work include:
- Advised the Yoo Group on its joint venture with Frasers Property Group relating to the development of a £131m mixed-use tower scheme in Vauxhall.
- Advised private investors in respect of the acquisition, financing and sale of several multi-let office business parks and industrial estates in the UK with a total value of circa £10m.
- Advised a real estate investment company in relation to the financing of a portfolio of commercial properties including multi-let industrial estates and business parks for circa £7m.
- Advised a number of high net worth individuals in relation to the purchase and development of multi-million pound residential properties in Hampstead and St Johns Wood.
David IrwinPartner Real Estate
David joined Teacher Stern as a trainee in 1990 and is the Head of our Real Estate department. He has many years’ experience in dealing with all aspects of commercial and residential property, with particular expertise in structuring complex real estate acquisitions and sales, as well as development and property finance related matters. He also regularly acts on corporate real estate matters for his clients.
- Advised a private client in relation to the purchase of a £18m hotel in Central London.
- Advised a Bank on a loan of £18m to a residential developer.
- Advised clients on the £28m sale of an apart- hotel in London W2.
- Advised clients on a series of purchases of student accommodation properties from UNITE.
- Advised on the acquisition development and sale of a part residential part commercial development in London
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Teacher Stern
37 – 41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom