London remains a key destination for both domestic and international buyers of real estate. Teacher Stern has been heavily involved in the London real estate sector since its establishment in 1967. This involvement has given us an in-depth understanding of the sector and the way it operates; an understanding which enables us to provide commercial, timely and practical advice to our clients that helps them to achieve their business objectives.
The combined expertise of our Real Estate team enables us to provide specialist legal advice throughout the full life cycle of real estate, from the planning and construction stages through to financing, development, sale and leasing. We also advise on ongoing and day-to-day operational issues involving portfolio management for landlords and on day to day lease and property issues for retailers and restauranteurs.
We have significant experience in dealing with emerging asset classes such as care homes and student accommodation, as well as more traditional forms of investments including retail, office, hotels and leisure centres.
Teacher Stern’s Legal 500 ranked Real Estate Finance team continues to act for many of the largest banks in the City, as well as a significant number of borrowers, on a vast array of real estate finance matters. The team delivers a full range of legal services to real estate clients including property investment and development finance, acquisition finance, lending and security and general banking advice.
Our Real Estate Tax team, which is ranked by both the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners, regularly advises real estate clients on matters relating to hotels, leisure centres, restaurants, cafes, shopping centres and retail units. The team also has significant experience in advising clients on real estate matters in other sectors such as financial services, social housing, data management, healthcare and the charitable sector.
In addition to advising on joint ventures for clients involved in property investment and development, our specialist Corporate Real Estate team also advises on high value transactions involving the acquisition and disposal of both commercial and residential property. Many of these transactions have multi-jurisdictional elements arising from the use of complex corporate wrappers involving offshore companies and property unit trusts.
Our experienced Real Estate Dispute Resolution team works both directly with landlords, tenants, property professionals and hand in hand with the firm’s transactional team to identify and implement robust solutions for issues arising out of real estate ownership or occupation. The team is firmly focused on extracting added value and its approach is pragmatic and cost effective.
Our broad client base reflects the diversity and scope of our real estate practice. We act for domestic and international developers, house-builders investors, lenders, private companies, funds, hotel owners and operators and retailers.
Whatever your business, our experience and expertise in the real estate sector will help you achieve your commercial objectives.
Examples of our Real Estate work include:
- Advised the Yoo Group on its joint venture with Frasers Property Group relating to the financing and building of a £131m mixed-use development in Vauxhall.
- Advised on the acquisition and disposal of various shopping centres across the UK; including the sale of two high value malls situated at London Underground stations for a combined value of £270m.
- Advised on the £29m sale of a landmark London hotel held by an offshore trust.
- Advised on the £90m acquisition of a residential property in Knightsbridge.
- Advised on the £212.5m sale of Holborn Links to the Triangle Group.
David IrwinPartner Real Estate
David joined Teacher Stern as a trainee in 1990 and is the Head of our Real Estate department. He has many years’ experience in dealing with all aspects of commercial and residential property, with particular expertise in structuring complex real estate acquisitions and sales, as well as development and property finance related matters. He also regularly acts on corporate real estate matters for his clients.
- Advised a private client in relation to the purchase of a £18m hotel in Central London.
- Advised a Bank on a loan of £18m to a residential developer.
- Advised clients on the £28m sale of an apart- hotel in London W2.
- Advised clients on a series of purchases of student accommodation properties from UNITE.
- Advised on the acquisition development and sale of a part residential part commercial development in London
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Teacher Stern
37 – 41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom