Transports & Logistics
The transportation & logistics industry forms the backbone of modern supply chains and keeps both people and products on the move. Population growth, as well as significant increases in passenger and freight travel, is not only placing unprecedented demand on businesses operating in this industry but also creating exciting opportunities for those businesses….
As specialist legal advisors in the transport and logistics industry, we have wide-ranging expertise in dealing with operators of both small and large fleets as well as national and international carriers. We are strong across all practice areas, particularly Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity, Real Estate, Dispute Resolution, Insolvency, Banking & Finance, Employment and Commercial.
Our transport and logistics team comprises an interdisciplinary team of lawyers from across the firm which:
- is led by partners who have distinct knowledge of the dynamics in operation in the sector including its major players and primary business drivers;
- has a proven track record of successfully advising on many high profile transactions in the UK’s transport and logistics sector;
- has experience in M&A transactions and joint ventures in both the transport and logistics sectors;
- has advised on numerous outsourcing and procurement arrangements in each of the transport and logistics sectors;
- has sector specific employment law and HR knowledge;
- can provide tailored advice on debt financing, restructuring and insolvency;
- includes dispute resolution lawyers with specific experience in transport and logistic related disputes;
- includes Real Estate lawyers who can advise on all aspects relating to the ownership, occupation, use and sale of properties used in sector.
Our transport and logistic clients include some of the biggest names in the sector and range from start-ups to major multinationals and listed companies.
Examples of our transport & logistics work include:
- Advised Metroline Limited on its acquisition of bus routes operated from five separate bus depots in West London from First Group plc for £57.5 million.
- Advised a subsidiary of a listed logistics company in connection with marine and air transport agreements, as well as a customs broker services agreement.
- Advised a major UK public transport provider on its tender response relating to the provision of passenger transport services to a major London airport.
- Advised a listed group on several corporate acquisitions in the logistics sector including both domestic and cross-border acquisitions ranging in value up to circa USD $200m.
- Advised the operating entity of a UK airport in relation to the outsourcing of key IT security functions and services to a third party service provider.
- Advised a listed document storage company in connection with numerous commercial contracts including contracts relating to outsourcing, data protection and privacy issues, data management services and service levels.
David SalisburyPartner Corporate and Commercial
As head of the firm’s corporate and commercial practice, David’s broad transactional experience includes acquisitions, disposals, take-overs and mergers, asset sales/purchases, joint ventures and company restructuring. He also advises clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including company/partnership formation, partnership/shareholders agreements and employment issues.
David has particular experience in the field of sport, acting amongst others for prospective purchasers of Premiership and Football League clubs in takeovers. He is also at the forefront of the development in England of the investment in and transfer of the economic rights of sportsmen and women.
For property investor clients, he has particular expertise in the disposal and acquisition of corporate and similar structures which assist in mitigating stamp duty land tax.
David has experience:
- Acting for investors in the economic rights of football players playing in the Premier League and the top divisions in other European Countries as well as in South America. Over the years, David has been involved in providing advice connected with the transfers, economic rights participation and/or playing rights of various Premier League and foreign based players including Carlos Tevez, Javier Mascherano, Jo, Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Fabiano and Heurelho Gomes to name but a few. More recently David has provided advice in relation to the following players: Paulhino (Tottenham) Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea) and Carlos Tevez (Juventus).
- Advising on a £430 million acquisition of a mixture of offshore and onshore companies owning 180 petrol stations and advising on the sale thereof three years later.
- Acting on a series joint ventures for a leading UK celebrity magazine and newspaper publisher with a combined value in excess of £280m.
- Acting for the prospective purchasers in their takeover of a Premier League Football Club.
- Advising on the £166 million sale of a group of companies with an industrial portfolio.
- Acting on the acquisition and financing of 545 public houses, worth £163 million.
- Advising on the £25 million sale to a UK plc of a leading UK independent internet service provider.
- Advising the founders and owners of a high end chain of London coffee shops on the sale, earn out and rollover of the owners’ differing interests in the business to a well known industry leading private equity firm.
- Advising the owners of a mining public relations agency on the sale of the worldwide operations to a UK quoted company.
Partner, Teacher Stern
‘David Salisbury is extremely personable, has an acute commercial sense and instils every confidence that he will provide sound reasoned advice with his clients best interests and not there to score points with the other side.’
Legal 500 Testimonial
37-41 Bedford Row London WC1R 4JH United Kingdom